SAP NetWeaver dual stack (ABAP stack and Java stack installed as a so called "addin") has been adapted to improve life cycle management operations .
SAP system that contains installations of both Application Server ABAP ( and Application Server Java (AS Java).
A dual-stack system has the following characteristics:
- Common SID for all application servers and the database
- Common startup framework
- Common database (with different schemas for ABAP and Java)
Note: SAP does not recommed to setup Dual Stack Systems except if necessary (e.g. Solution Manager)
Please note the following:
Today dual stack is required for
- Solution Manager
- Mobile up to NW 7.0
Optional Use case
- BI 7
- ESS scenarios in dual stack
- Java Usage Types in NetWeaver Systems (e.g. Enterprise Portal)
- Running SAP NetWeaver application components in single stack
- Exception: Solution Manager will stay dual stack
SAP Application Server Setup recommendations
- Setup SAP systems as single stack whenever possible
Please see also note 1181025 .